Rosslyn welcomes the 43rd Marine Corps Marathon!
Don't miss the Finish Festival and other celebrations taking place in Arlington for race weekend
The 43nd Marine Corps Marathon takes place this Sunday, October 28. As in past years, Rosslyn is the proud home of the Finish Festival. Whether you're running in the marathon or the 10K, or just cheering on a friend, be sure to take advantage of the many activities going on in Rosslyn and throughout Arlington on race weekend! Click here for a detailed schedule of events.
The marathon and the 10K will both start at 7:55 a.m. Learn more about this year's course here.
To view road closures for the day, click here.
Below is some helpful information on getting to the marathon on race day:
Enjoying the Finish Festival
The Finish Festival will take place from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Downtown Rosslyn. Highlights include live music on the Arlington Stage; a beer garden; and booths and giveaways along Meade and Lynn Streets, Fort Myer and Fairfax Drives, and Wilson Blvd. The Finish Festival also provides a Family Link-Up Area, a Medical Tent and UPS Baggage Pickup. Don't miss the Quantico Marine Corps Rock Band (pictured), who will welcome finishers to Rosslyn with a high-energy performance featuring 12 active-duty Marines. Click here to read a detailed description of Finish Festival activities. Click here to learn more about the best places to view the marathon including, for the first time, The Observation Deck at CEB Tower.
Exploring our neighborhood
If you're running in the marathon and staying in a Rosslyn hotel or visiting the area for the first time, welcome! There is so much to do here and we are glad to have you.
Rosslyn has more than 100 restaurants and retailers. If you don't want to venture too far from your hotel or the Finish Festival, there are plenty of nearby places where you and your friends and family can eat before or after the race.
Click here to view a list of sit-down restaurants that are based in Rosslyn. Some of our favorites that are within easy walking distance of the Finish Festival are Amuse, Barley Mac, CAVA, cityhouse, Continental, Continental Beer Garden, Heavy Seas Alehouse (pictured below) and Kona Grill.
If you are in the mood for a quick bite, take advantage of some fast-casual neighborhood choices, including Bourbon Coffee, Central Coffee, Chopt Creative Salad Company, Cosi, District Taco, The Little Beet, Nando's PERi PERi, Potbelly Sandwich Shop, Roti Mediterranean Grill, Starbucks Coffee, sweetgreen, Tom Yum District and Wiseguy N.Y. Pizza. Click here for a full list of fast-casual options. Make sure a place is open on the weekend before heading over!
Besides restaurants, Rosslyn offers easy access to a number of popular tourist destinations located in or near the neighborhood.
- Adjacent to the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial is the Netherlands Carillon, a bell tower given to the United States by the Netherlands to show gratitude for American aid during World War II.
- Rosslyn is one Metro stop away from Arlington National Cemetery, which is also about a mile walk from the heart of Rosslyn.
- Dark Star Park is another Rosslyn landmark. It's a public park created by land art pioneer Nancy Holt.
- Rosslyn's largest park, Gateway Park, offers plenty of green space and a large sandbox for children (pictured below).
- Rosslyn also has several works of public art. You can go on a walking tour in the neighborhood to check out some highlights. Click here for a list of public artworks in Rosslyn.
- Theodore Roosevelt Island is another great nearby destination. It's within easy walking distance of Rosslyn and features several hiking trails and a monument to our 26th president.
Helping the homeless
As in past years, the Rosslyn BID's purple-shirted ambassador team will be out in force during the marathon to collect clothing discarded by runners during the first mile of the race. In previous years, the team has collected more than 900 pounds of hats, gloves, sweatshirts and pants that marathoners shed as they warm up. These items are drycleaned and donated to A-SPAN (Arlington Street People's Assistance Network), which shares them with clients.
To visit the official Marine Corps Marathon website, click here.
To read a fun profile of Brennan DeWitt, a member of the Rosslyn BID team and a three-time MCM runner, click here.
Related event: 43rd Marine Corps Marathon
Related point: U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial