N Lynn St & Langston Blvd
Marking each of the four corners of the Esplanade Bridge over I-66, these monumental sculptures create a memorable entry into Arlington County. The 26-foot high illuminated sculptures, called Luminous Bodies, consist of formed stainless-steel rods intersecting to define both exterior and interior surfaces and volumes. The structures respond to the formal stone and bronze monuments that bookend Rosslyn, lending a fresh perspective with their transparent vessels filled with sunlight during the day and color changing LED light at night. The 45-minute light show cycles continuously, beginning two hours before dusk and ending at 2:00 a.m.
This Esplanade Bridge installation is the second phase of Cliff Garten’s Corridor of Light, which when complete will result in artwork marking three major entryways into Arlington, VA. Installed in 2018, the first major artwork of the series is Gravity and Grace, a site-specific large-scale LED public artwork integrated into the architecture of Central Place Plaza.
View a short video of the installation created by Elman Studio.
Funded by private development public art fund contributions from B. F. Saul Company & Affiliates, JBG SMITH and 1881 Rosslyn Associates, LLC
- Text taken from Arlington Public Art
- Continental1911 N Fort Myer Dr (330 feet SW)
- Bourbon Coffee1919 N Lynn St (372 feet SE)
- Amuse (Hotel Le Méridien Arlington)1121 19th St N (475 feet SE)
- Continental Beer Garden1901 Fort Myer Dr (547 feet SW)
Retail and Services
- Anytime Fitness Rosslyn1919 N Lynn St (372 feet SE)
- Dental Studio at Rosslyn1901 N Moore St (373 feet SW)
- Waterview Conference Center1919 N Lynn St (378 feet SE)
- Learn Me1911 N Fort Myer Dr (443 feet SW)
- Vadim Ltd.1911 N Fort Myer Dr (467 feet SW)
- Rosslyn Building (North)1911 N Fort Myer Dr (382 feet SW)
- Waterview1111 19th St N (486 feet SE)
- 1001 19th St. N.1001 19th St N (644 feet SE)
- Plaza East1800 N Kent St (664 feet SE)