Fort C.F. Smith
2411 24th St N
Arlington, VA 22207
This beautiful 19-acre site includes a lush tree canopy, an open meadow, the lovely Hendry House and preserved earthworks of the Civil War fort built in 1863, and many other outstanding features.
The Hendry House
The Hendry House is a restored 20th century mansion that has historic elegance in a park setting and is perfect for meetings, weddings and other events.
Civil War Earthwork Ruins
The earthwork ruins at this park are the best preserved ruins of the 22 forts that were located in Arlington during the Civil War. The ruins include the bomb proof, the fort well, the North magazine, and 11 of the 22 gun emplacements.
Fort C.F. Smith - GardenTrail
There is a 1/2 mile of trails on this 19-acre site. The trails are of a variety of surfaces including asphalt, mulch, concrete and gravel. Enjoy a stroll on the grounds while observing wildlife, open space and historic features as outlined on interpretive signage throughout the grounds.
Wildlife Observation Opportunities
Deer, fox, rabbit, squirrel are among the wildlife that may be observed in the park. Barred and Screech Owls are known to frequent the area along with other interesting wildlife who visit the Bird Creek.
Ornamental Peace Garden
Among the wide variety of tree species on this site there are several unique varieties originally planted by Dr. Hendry including Japanese Raisin Tree, Ginko, Bottle-Brush Buckeye, English Walnut and Royal Paulownia. There are native hardwood forest trees and an abundant assortment of plants and flowers.
This man-made feature was created to attract and retain migrating birds and to provide a water source for other wild life in the park. Visitors can expect to see both resident and migrating birds including Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Eastern Meadowlark, Common Yellowthroat, Magnolia and Black-throated Blue Warbler.
Amenities include accessible restrooms and a parking lot of 40 spaces including two handicap spaces.
- Rhodeside Grill1836 Wilson Blvd (4.1 miles E)
- Il Radicchio of Arlington1801 Clarendon Blvd (4.1 miles E)
- Eclairons1737 Wilson Blvd (4.2 miles E)
- Guajillo Restaurant1727 Wilson Blvd (4.2 miles E)
Retail and Services
- P. Gentry, DDS, FAGD, J. Coutin-Gentry, DDS1831 Wilson Blvd (4.1 miles E)
- Tanna's Exxon Market & Car Wash1824 Wilson Blvd (4.1 miles E)
- Blue Orchid Cleaners1747 Clarendon Blvd (4.1 miles E)
- Orangetheory Fitness1776 Wilson Blvd (4.2 miles E)
- Arlington Family Counseling Center1600 Wilson Blvd (4.2 miles E)
- 1776 Wilson Blvd.1776 Wilson Blvd (4.2 miles E)
- 1600 Wilson Blvd.1600 Wilson Blvd (4.3 miles E)
- 1550 Wilson Blvd.1550 Wilson Blvd (4.3 miles E)
- Kodak Building1555 Wilson Blvd (4.4 miles E)